SC10 Esperance to Perth

Started by West Aussie Glen, Mar 12, 2023, 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Aussie Glen

Having completed an SC8 as part of the SCDR WEST52 checking Google Maps I came up with a route from Esperance to Home that would take me on some nice country roads, some of which I hadn't ridden on and allow me to finish with an easy trip up Forest Highway/Kwinana Freeway to home. This was as well as Google showing it as 1012 kms, ideal for an SC10. This map of my actual ride shows 1016 kms, reasons for which are given below.

With Monday the 6th being a WA Public Holiday I thought that would be a good day to be riding to Esperance. This proved to be the case with heaps of caravans going in the opposite direction. So Monday afternoon saw me checked in to the Esperance Hospitality.fter a hamburger at the Top End Takeaway I had a pleasant walk along foreshore before retiring for the night.
Just before dawn on Tuesday morning I headed for Esperance Maccas for my first receipt. With a bulk carrier taking on what I assume was grain the jetty was ablaze with lights.

After breakfast at Maccas I headed for the Shell Servo at Ravensthorpe. Generally had a clear road except for road trains carting grain but as for most of the trip home they didn't hold me up. About 100kms from Esperance I sensed an unusual shape ahead on the righthand side of of the road. As I eased off a little the shape grew as the two kangaroos moved apart and thankfully just watched me go past.
I spent some time at the Shell servo there was only one person serving and a few people ahead of me were impatiently waiting on food.

Heading for Jerramungup I took the opportunity to photograph what I like most about riding and that is a nice country road with no other traffic.

Then on past the nice facilities at the empty Lions Park which when I used the day before been full of caravans.
Arriving at the major roundabout in Albany and first lot of traffic for the day I took the fist instead of the second exit to add 1km to the trip.To get to the BP I had to go past it and return up Albany Highway at another small roundabout which was chaos due to road works. Refueled at the BP and then stopped up the road at Chicken Treat.

Leaving the traffic behind I headed for Denmark and an important receipt from the Bakery across the road from the Library.

From Denmark it was via a back road towards Mt Barker and up though Kojonup. I had programmed my trip into both the Honda and my Garmin GPS's but apparently not with enough details. Not long after leaving Denmark one GPS said turn left and the other continue, I turned left and in 1.5kms came to a Gravel Road Ahead sign, so add 3 kms to my planned ride.
After Kojonup my route took me to Collie and past a missed photo opportunity. In the eighties I worked at Mt Whaleback Iron Ore Mine, Newman. One of the four 2800 series P & H  electric shovels from Newman is now on display near the road next to a coal mine. These were cable loading about 60 tonnes in one shovel full.
Just prior to Collie was my second wildlife encounter for the ride as I went past a lone Emu. Collie was the third refuel stop for the trip. Leaving Collie it was a nice ride down off the escarpment before heading for home up the coast. A final receipt from BP 2kms from home saw me at home just after 6.
I was impressed that my Garmin GPS was showing 1016.3kms and the Google map above showing 1,016 kms.Total fuel for the day about 53 litres and $110 at 5.25 l/100kms.

Cheers
West Aussie Glen
SCDR 1200
Red 2008 ST1300
Red 2014 GL1800
Blue 2014 GL1800 outfit

Kimmie

Great report & pics Ray.
Looks lovely and peaceful on that looooong stretch of road.

One day I might make it over there....it's the only part on my map that doesn't have any markers.

Lonerider

Quote from: Kimmie on Mar 13, 2023, 04:51 PMGreat report & pics Ray.
Looks lovely and peaceful on that looooong stretch of road.

One day I might make it over there....it's the only part on my map that doesn't have any markers.

That is Glens ride, but yeah there is lots to see over here. also a few of those nice long bits of road with nothing and if you get a good headwind, dropping speed to get economy is necessary!.
Ray Sazonov
SCDR 110
IBA 39079

2014 Blue Honda GL1800

WOMBAT

Great ride Glen with all of those Border Run Stickers on the tail of the bike. It is a fantastic opportunity to ride those roads that you would not normally take.
I can feel the serenity from here
Congratulations on the first SCDR Documented ride  :)

Wombat
SCDR 719
IBA 59500
Honda ST1100
Honda ST1300
A lost Surveyor is called an Explorer